Selamat Hari Raya Aidilfitri
Wednesday, October 1, 2008 @ 11:30 PM

This year, Hari Raya Aidilfitri is a little different for me. Though from a certain angle it may seem unfortunate, I never brought myself to that negative side and viewed in a more positive l light. There was something to learn this Ramadhan and it certainly brought things into a greater and more refreshing paradigm.

My Mum was admitted into National University Hospital last Thursday. It was pretty much a shock and we, the family, were in disbelief. What came as a tummy discomfort had soon been diagnosed as a complication of the intestines. It was a trivial moment. Never had she complained of any of such illnesses and it came when you least expect it. For a woman her age, I guess, health has to be upped into the elite topmost spots in the list of ten most important things in life. Putting her age and this complication in the picture, it troubled me more. Only making it worst when an operation had to be carried out. I was relunctant, I was disageerable and I was lost.

On the next day when the doctor had advised for an operation, I have reached a level of confusion so bad, I couldn't get myself to see my ill mum who was all wrapped up in a green patient outfit with tubes trailing from the veins of her limbs to the sunken packets of chemicals hung on fork-like steel beams. I had to brave myself, to go beyond that emotional rollercoaster in my soul to talk to her and my dad who streamed into the ward early that morning. I muttered my honest viewpoint and concluded that the decision was theirs, whether to proceed with the removal of her dead colon. Under those dark eye circles and yesterday's Large size dance t-shirt, i claimed my sanity to go home and let whatever happens, happen. I mean in term of decision making that is. My mum was important to me. She was all I loved and depend upon and I felt then that if this operation were to go from astray, I will regret my life upon it. That's extreme negativity for sure but as i teared my way home in the taxi, I prayed and believed that Allah will help us through this ordeal. It wasn't a bad ordeal. Something was to be learnt.

And so the days past by, operation went extremely well and Hari Raya had arrived. Clad in tones of green, the other 5 that makes my family, which includes myself, stream in the midday sun into the ward to greet my Mother. Though she might have waited awhile, I knew she was happy to see us. In drabs of 60 seconds, she started to tear. I understood fully why she did, for this year will be a little different. It was fine with me actually for she was very important and although we are missing out on her hari raya cooking for the first day which is inevitably brilliant, the day felt more meanigful as we took this challenge together as a family. No doubt, we have gotten closer in this meaningful day and that is the blessing, that my mother have been wishing for i guess, that has arrived in disguised.

My mum is recovering pretty well and I can't wait for her to come home. Well i have taken all my effort to revamp my home a little bit and I am sure that she will be awed by the changes at home. She'll be happy I know and that is more satisfying for me that anything else. Making someone happy is good for me. Making someone I love is great for me. Making my mum happy, hmmm...priceless..

Till I see you, who is reading at my home this raya, Just wanna wish all of you SELAMAT HARI RAYA AIDILFITRI MAAF ZAHIR DAN BATIN. SEMOGA ALLAH MERESTUI HIDUP KITA DALAM BULAN YANG MULIA LAGI INDAH INI. ASSALAMUALAIKUM.

Wink Wink, E1